About Me

My photo
Welcome ... It was a night as black as the pupil of my eye that led the passing wanderer into my soul ... browse around and enjoy the view.

Sunday, October 20, 2013

Reproduction: A test of talent?

Reproduction of a masterpiece ... is this a true test of talent? Once upon a time I was tasked with duplicating a masterpiece. We used a grid approach and I was praised for the likeness from the original to my version. Looking back I realize the underlying ability perhaps recognized by the professor, however what does this reflect in my own artistic talent and style?
 
The true master brought light and evoked feeling. I wasn't there and the version I was working from was a copy of the original ... at some point a copy of a copy reflects the deteriorating likeness of the original.
 
Do you remember that child-hood game "telephone"? Where a group of kids, usually around a table, pass a message one to the next, whispering it in each other's ear. By the time the message gets from the first person to the last the message becomes so distorted that the recipient is left with a puzzled look and complete confusion as to what was just whispered in their ear. I've whispered this image upon your eyes and am confused as to what it is trying to convey.
 
A lesson learned many years down the road as I pulled this out and blew the dust off: Share my own style directly with the world. Remove the layers of confusion and claim my spot as the first person in the game of "telephone".

 
 __  __  __  __  __  __



No comments:

Post a Comment